Strologo Shelter

© Crown Copyright - National Archives. The Strologo shelter shortly after construction. 


The Strologo Shelter is a sturdy shelter erected in 1938 near the Blackheath Gate.

Charles (Carlo) Dello Strologo was an Italian, born in Egypt, where he was chairman and managing director of a major cotton pressing company 'Presseo Libres Egyptienners’.  He came to this country in the late 19th century, eventually retiring to Surrey in 1933 with his Irish wife. In an act of rather unusual philanthropy, he decided to provide a high-quality bus shelter for every village in Surrey and dedicate them to King George V for his Silver Jubilee in 1935. Reputedly this idea came to him because he felt sorry for the citizens of his adopted country having to wait for buses in such terrible weather.

In July 1937 Charles Dello Strologo offered the Royal Parks shelters like those he had provided in Surrey. The park officers were not initially keen since all shelters had been removed because they were being used by ‘undesirable people and for immoral purposes. Eventually, it was agreed that Greenwich Park could benefit from one next to the Blackheath Gate where, it was said, there was no cover for children and nursemaids. A sturdy custom shelter was commissioned with seating on all four sides and constructed of oak with cedar tiles. It was assembled and opened on 9th May 1938.

Charles Dello Strologo became a British Citizen on 19th August 1937 and died on 4th June the next year, making this his last shelter. All the shelters were intended to have a commemorative plaque, but this was not permitted in the park and even the maker’s plaque was removed. Charles Dello Strologo was, however, listed as a benefactor of the park in the annual reports that year.